Thursday, July 9, 2009

Public Enemies Review

The multi-faceted Johnny Depp has done it again. From Edward Scissorhands to Jack Sparrow to Willy Wonka, Depp has always impressed me with his incredible range of film characters. Taking a more serious turn this time as famed 1930s bank robber John Dillinger, he gives a stirring and partially disturbing performance in ‘Public Enemies’. Directed by Michael Mann, still kicking from filming ‘Hancock’, and co-starring Batman himself, Christian Bale, this film is certainly worth your attention. And although my interest in movies seldom falls on historical films, Depp injects his signature acting style that many of us know and love to make ‘Public Enemies’ a worthy add into anyone’s action movie collection. It is, however, a little hard to watch at times because of the close historical accuracy. I enjoyed Depp’s performance as I always do, but overall I was slightly disappointed by the way the story was constructed.

I’m not sure if giving away plot events will disappoint anybody, as anyone with a history book can find out what happens to Mr. Dillinger, but I’ll humor the less learned of our readers by not doing so. I can tell you though, if you like seeing a couple dozen tommy guns fire off a couple hundred rounds for elongated periods of time, then you need to sit yourself down in front of this movie right now. Plus, since everyone dressed exactly the same in the 1930s, you’ll have no idea who’s shooting who without a lot of close-up shots. Otherwise, you can enjoy the technical genius of John Dillinger breaking himself and more out of prison not once but twice. Or maybe the romance of a bank robber, sprinkled between the action sequences can tide you over. (Warning: which includes a brief scene of intimacy, for any of you bringing kids to see this). As for your allegiance to characters, if you root for the bad guys (i.e. the bank robbers) be prepared to punch the guy in front of you a few too many times. That’s historical precision for you.

I am aware that I cannot argue with history, but it is a movie, based on a true story. There is a reason true story movies are changed slightly, to make them entertaining. Bryan Burrough, author of Public Enemies: America’s Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34, the book on which the film is based, even expressed that ‘Public Enemies’ is “by far the closest thing to fact that Hollywood has attempted”. Personally, I believe that Hollywood changes fact for the benefit of the movie’s success. The truth of it is that it was an uncomfortable story at times. Depp’s marvelous performance is a double edged sword. Acting as Dillinger very well also made me a little uneasy at times when he was killing innocent people in cold blood one scene, then in the next acting chivalrous and suave to his love interest Billie Frechette, played by Marion Cotillard. While I wanted to root for him, as he is the main character, throughout most of the film I half wished that the FBI would silence him. It was clear that he lived an unfortunate life. Watching it all happen made me feel pity for him. That is what made me partly disappointed as I left the theatre at the end.

Closing off that area of regret, there is much good to say about ‘Public Enemies’. In more exciting scenes, you can see the professional effort put into the action, namely the gun fight scenes. Of course, you can’t say no to a good old fashioned car chase between a couple of old Fords doing 40mph. That’s excitement! It is astonishingly close to what the 1930s actually looked like. There is no denying that the sets were made the way a history flick should by all rights be made. But the real highlight of the whole movie is Johnny Depp’s own version of John Dillinger. He acted as a criminal would, without selling the character out like Hollywood loves to do. (Bringing to mind Colin Farrell’s performance in ‘American Outlaws’.) Not only does he keep the character true, but Depp also adds his own style. You’ll be saying “John Dillinger sure was a smart criminal” and then “That sure was Johnny Depp”.

Honestly, I never would have seen this movie if it wasn’t starring Johnny Depp. He makes the movie for me. And I’ve never been disappointed by any of his characters. So if you don’t particularity like Johnny Depp, I would say don’t see this one. All on its own, it’s a well made movie, but it didn’t satisfy me as much as I had hoped. I give it a rating of 3 out of 5 Napkins.

Title: Public Enemies
Directed by: Michael Mann
Starring: Johnny Depp, Christian Bale
Music by: Elliot Goldenthal
Release Date: July 1, 2009
Running Time: 140 min
Rating: 3/5 Napkins



No comments:

Post a Comment